Pages 'n Stuff

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Art of Saying "Hi" And Different Type of Cliques

Oh my gosh, thank goodness it's Friday. Why... well, for the weekend, of course. I want it to be here so bad plus I'm excited for Thanksgiving break because I really want a break from school, just like everyone.

Hmm, what are my plans for this weekend? I have a party to go to. My twin friends, Brooke and Lisa are going to have a party for their birthday which is... over Thanksgiving break and I got them a popcorn maker. :D And a bacon-styled birthday card. I had to remind them of my bacon obsession so the card would make sense. And plus, we're going go iceskating. I don't think I've been iceskating but my memory is telling me that I have... at some point in time... but yes, I know how to roller-blade which is similiar but I do expect to fall several times. lol.

All right, I just wanted to say thanks to all of the people who commented on my last post, I really appreciate it guys. :) And I'm sorry I haven't gotten a chance to reply to all of the comments... but I'm going to do that.

Okay, today's topic came to me while I was at a local, fast-foot joint where I often see people who go to my school and this time I happened to see three guys I knew. But I only knew them. That's it. I knew their names and that was it. My mom asked me if I knew them and I whispered, "Yes," and then she suggests that I should say hi to them. My initiation reaction was, "Uh, no, why?"

Mom: You know them right?
Me: Yes...
Mom: So, why don't you say hi?
Me: Because I don't know them that well.

Then my dad, the one I love and argue with almost 24/7, pitches in, and imagine your typical Texas accent becuase that's how I mock him because he mocks me, trust me, it's all fun and games, "Oh, well, when I was in high school, I knew everyone and we always said hi to each other because I was popular,"

I look to my mom, who is looking at my dad and then she says, "John, you weren't that popular..."

My dad gives an incredulous look, "I was too," Then my dad says, "I'll get up and go say hi to them,"

Me, "Holy crap, dad!"

Thank goodness he didn't but I mean... I only knew them. I didn't talk to them ever in my life. One of them was the tallest guy in our class, one has made fun of my last name since kindergarten, and the other I don't even talk to. Why would I say hi to them?

And then we proceeded to have a conversation about when it's appropriate to say hi, and this is what I've concluded.

You say hi if... you see them on a regular basis and they're your friend. And I'm talking, you-interact type of friend. Not the friend you see in the hallway. Of course my sister came into the conversation and suggested that to my dad, "Would you say hi to someone you see in the hallway?"

Of course, my dad: "Oh, I'd say hi to them anyway, I would say, hi man, how are you doing?"

Me: "And that's why you weren't popular..."

But also, I want to go over "groups" or "cliques". They're like ranks in the hierarchy. That's how high school it -- it's a hiearchy and some people particpate in it constantly, always trying to be on the top, which is a battle of its own. It's fierece man, competition is nuts. And just like hierarchy use to be in the olden days in England, you have to be born into the class.

It's similiar with nowadays. You have to be "born" so to speak, into a group because you just can't change groups. You can all of a sudden decide to be popular one day and not the next. Once you're in a group, you have to live up to that groups standards or you're toast. It's demanding. Of course, that is depending on what group you're in.

Where do I sit? Heck, I'm not really sure. I think I'm just one of those neutral people who have their group of friends that they're happy with and I occasionally mingle here and there out of my natural friendliness. Of course, with my liking of video games, I'm on the verge of the "nerd" group -- the bunch of white, ugly guys who just make me want to gag. And I'm actually stalked by the group. It's not my fault I'm pretty and like video games, all right... to a lot of my other guy friends I've met, they think it's too good to be true. lol. And sometimes, it is. I always feel kind of embarrassed when I buy my bloody-gorey games because I put it on the counter and the guy is looking at me like, "Uhh...?" Me: Yeeah, just ring me up.

Here are some of the groups in my school:

The Jocks - the football players, the athletic people.
The Newbies - the people who want to be athletic but fail
The (excuse my french) Sluts - ones that show off their cleavage, are stupid, and wear high heels.
The Pretty Blondes - the ones who have expensive clothes and purses and have perfect skin
The Nerds - white, video game nerds.
The Weirdos - that group of people (usually guys) who are off playing games, such as tag.
The Goths - people who wear a lot of black and usually end up having a lot of piercing
The Rockers - the ones who listen to a lot of screamo music. (I'm sorta part of the group)
The Band Geeks - cool people who are very loyal to their section. There are often rivalries in the band. Everyone hate the trumpets.
The Christians - cool people who pray at lunch and are very nice.
The Neutrals - where I am. Don't really fit in in a specific group.
The Idiots - the people that make everyone mad and cause a lot of trouble
The Hispanics - there are tons at my school and they have this gangster type style. Pull those pants up, foo!
The En-Gees - You people. Yeah, you.

I'm sure there are tons more but those are the most prominent ones in my school. Anyone want to contribute?

Wrappin' up.

Comment, check the boxes, check the poll (I appreicate honesty), feed my koi, and overall chill out guys.

Ooh, P.S. Anyone aware of my Twilight hatred... that is a burning passion inside of me? Anyone want me to blog about it? It might consist of several parts...

Talley-ho,
Chels

6 comments:

  1. i hate twilight... so write about it!!
    Hrry potter teachs you love, freindship, and loyalty, twilight teaches how important it is to have a boyfriend. -stephan king

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. ^_^ A Twillight hating post might be cool. :)
    At my school, there are bascially...
    The Populars: Tie their shirt up at the back, giggle at everything, flirt with boys. In 6th grade. -_-
    the Nukes: People who do nothing but hate. Love violence. I mean, LOVE.
    Silent but Deadly: They don't say much, but there stare is death. They're really laidback.
    Elephants: Bascially wanna be ganstars
    Giraffes: Their cool, but they're not conceited.
    Jellyfish: That's me and my group of friends. The freaks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSSSSS! PLLLEEEEEASE RANT ABOUT TWILIGHT!! XD

    Not to sound all braggish, but since my school is an arts school, all the groups are pretty straightforward-

    The Vis Kids (visual art kids are kind of manga nerdy, usually very quiet. Gets along well with LitKids since they're both non-performing arts)
    The Music Kids (smart, quiet,)
    The Vocal Kids (super nice, quiet)
    The Drama Kids (dramatic about everything. Very loud. Are like dancers, but nicer, and less slutty)
    The Lit Kids (Quiet, deep, thoughtful, often (but not always) antisocial. The only loud LitKid I know of is myself. Known for smartness, but people like to avoid because they think they're nerds.)
    The Dancers (usually sluts, anorexic, think they're really popular. There's a joke at our school that goes, 'what's the difference between a dancer and a ferarri? not everyone's been inside a ferrari.')
    The General Kids (the kids who don't go to the school for the arts, simply because it's the school closest to their homes. Not really a way to describe them.)

    Also, everyone dresses pretty weird by other school's standards, but it's perfectly normal to see there. And peeps are VERY ACCEPTING of eachother since we have many gay peole and people of different racial background and religions.

    I feel like I'm bragging... whatever. I love my school <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Twilight, so I would say a no to that, I would like too see what you have about it though

    Really, at my school, we have the
    Populars: The girls that are mean and have boyfriends, you just can't be accepted into their group
    The weirdos; My group ;D
    The Good and Teachers Pets; Thats where all the good kids get together
    And the outsiders; Just the kids that flit from group to group, except the popular group. Never the popular group.

    Really good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this post! i think I'm in the neutrals and/or the band geeks. I'm in band and I play the bass clarinet. I'm one of the only two girls in the low brass section. That's weird, isn't it? I didn't know that it was a band thing to always hate the trumpets. That's weird, because I hate the trumpets too. Actually, almost everyone in my band does, except for the trumpets of course. It's like they love themselves or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly like that in my school! Here, we have:
    The Big Three(girls)- the top three girls, always wear the latest fashions, at least on free dress day, and are a bit snobby but not 2 much, they are "in the know" about pop stuff, a few are athletic

    The Big Three(boys)- the top three boys, know everyone in Jr. High. Are also in the know with pop stuff. All are known for athletics

    The Pops- consist of The Big Three girls and boys, and a few others. care about fashion and stuff. lot of athletic peeps

    The Middles- people in the middle. they kinda are in between the Pops and the Smarts

    The Teachers' Pets- all the teachers love even though they are really not-so-good.

    The Smarts- The people that are smart and love nature/science. Population: 1. ME. no one else loves science, nature, math, getting hands dirty, or classical music. I feel so alone!

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Tell me what YOU think! :D I love writer-reader interaction!