Pages 'n Stuff

Sunday, November 13, 2011

When You're A Writer and When You're Not

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. I don't know what's going on. I'm having a case of selective inspiration -- as in, only at certain moments so I'm trying to grab every moment because my "writing ability" doesn't seem to be coming in at a constant stream. I'm still not old enough for it to come so constantly. Bleh. I promise this one will get posted.

Also, you know what, I figure that PTL (Pink Team's Locker, I'll refer to it as the acronym now) ought to have a mascot of some sort. Like an animal mascot to describe it's pride, er, whatever. You know? Like schools. Anyone have any ideas? If you got an animal idea, comment and I'll set up a poll. It can be any animal... a real animal. I'm sorry, no fantasy animals like unicorns. I'm not a unicorns person... nor am I an elf person either. I'm hardcore, aliens-burst-out-of-your-chest, alien-race-hunts-humans type of person. So... any ideas?

You know what I hate sometimes? Teachers/adults automatically blame the students/kids if something is missing, when it easily be lost by the teacher/adult's own fault. Well, at our last football game, there were three plumes missing, the little feather things - and our band director is making us have after school band practice because he can't find them. They take an inventory of them after every game and three are missing and our band director automatically throws a finger at us when they could be a hundred miles from here in Corpus Christi or not so far away. They could have been dropped but my friend Aimee informed me that some seniors (12th grade) take them as sovineuers from high school, but they're costing the band after school practice for an hour... *rolls eyes*

Today's Topic:

My mom didn't make coffee this morning so my whole morning was thrown off. I really need to figure out our stupid coffee maker so I can solve my problem. Tea does not do the same job as coffee does and not to mention there's this game called Happy Wheels and a guy on youtube records himself playing it and he's friggin' hilarious and he posts a new episode every morning and... there wasn't one this morning. No coffee. No Happy Wheels. Today didn't start out well for me. Now I'm snacking on some peanuts and water, so I'm all right now.

Also, what I hate is, well, yesterday me and my twin friend, Lisa were doing this like little proper introduction for a speech in Speech class and she was trying to find satisitics of teenage writers. But she kept coming across teenage authors. They are two totally different things. That's what I'm going to blog about today because it angers me.

Has anyone ever noticed that the teenagers -- not all of them -- teenage writers that get published as just like ones who this was the one and only piece of writing they've done... like, it'll be like some random idea they got their teacher to check for them. They're not true-to-heart. And it's not fair when dedicated writers - like myself - get little to no attention for our ideas and the stories that we've been working on for most of our life. It makes me mad... -_- very, very mad.

I want to be published. I want my books on the shelves. I want to be known for writing but my dream has been cut short and you know, maybe I am too young to be wanting to get published but my mom honestly has no faith in me at all. She's never impressed with my writing and it's offensive. And I think that's one of the reasons why I'm at such a low with my writing. I'm finding it hard to find support and guys, I'm not asking you guys to go crazy in the comments section because you know what, it's true. I shouldn't get my book published this young. Turning fifteen in around forty days, which I'm pretty excited about, although now I can get my driver's permit. But beside that, my mom doesn't have any confidence in me because she doesn't want to see me get hurt. And I can totally see that but I really want this. I'm so tired of being that person no one thinks about and that random sci-fi writer on KP. And I'm talking dedicated - as in, all she writers dedication. I want to stand out. But of course, my mom insists that I wait until I'm eighteen.

But I mean, it's the fact that my mom hasn't ever been impressed with my ability to write. And I do dedicate myself to it so much, it's pratically my life's work so far, which is what Xenophobia is to me. It means so much to me and it's everything. But of course, my mom doesn't like science fiction as she finally revealed to me after, what, ever since I began to start writing which was in third grade and now I'm in ninth. Kinda late, mom?

I'm trying to motivate myself but I'm finding it really hard to. So, I'm stuck in a would-be writer's mode, wanting to write but having no inspiration, no words.

Anyway, enough about me. Here's when I think you're a writer and when you're not.

You know you're a writer when...

you spend more time on your writing than homework.
you think of the world as a giant story with over 7 billion characters.
you've been writing stories constantly for over a year.
you have a pen at all times.
you carry a little journal with you.
you people watch to get insight about your own characters.
you keep on writing/typing even after your parents have told you to get off and you say, "I'm ALMOST DONE!"
you find errors in every day things, grammatical errors, spelling, etc.
you spend more time by yourself with your characters than friends.
you actually get past chapter three.
you think that you can write your favorite novel differently.
you narrate when you're bored.
you find one idea and stick to it, not run around with 100 different ideas.
you devote yourself to one or two stories - not 400.
you read books about how to make your writing better. (I need to buy one... bad)
you stalk your favorite author because you feel connected to them. (I do it, we have email conversations. It's epic)

Those are just SOME.

You know you're not a writer when...

you spend more time on homework than writing. (which is understandable)
you think of the world pratically, not literaturely...
you've only been "writing" for under a year. (I've been writing for five or six years. Seems longer than that.)
you don't have a pen at all times. (it's okay)
you don't carry a little journal. (again, it's okay)
you don't people watch.
you don't write longer than you're told you. You get off promptly.
you don't see spelling/grammar errors.
you spend more time with friends than characters (understandable, don't be offended, really)
you write one chapter, maybe two and start another four books off of ideas you got at the grocery store.
you don't think deeply about how your favorite novel is written.
you don't narrate when bored.
you run around with 100 different ideas (I'll example a system in a minute)
you start a new story every day, be modest.
you don't read books about making your writing better.
you don't stalk your favorite author.

These are ALL my opinion, don't be offended some of the ones that you "don't" do, I do but if you have more than the "dos" = problem.

Okay, about that system I was talking about.

There is a Writer Hierarchy, and there are four classes that you can be in... good thing is, you can change classes, until royal Europe.

At the bottom, there's a would-be writer.

I come across these every day. People who want to write but don't have the words or ideas for it. Or... they end up just sucking and making an awful story that has no style at all. Of course, I'm at this stage to be honest. I want to write... but no inspiration or words. My best friends and one of my Canadians friends (not you Chiaki ;)) are would-be writers. They want to write but don't have ideas. Or... on this case, my Canadian friend has many ideas but had them for like two days and then had another one but they always ended up being cliche.


Then there's a writer.

These people have ideas and love to write on their own time. They're crazy about writing. Very simple definition. They love writing with a burning passion.

Would-be author

I am at this stage usually. These are the people who want to be published and are scowering their books and novels, scoping them out and trying to make then publish ready. They're crazy about writing as well... sometimes way too crazy. They read tons of books about "Why you're writing is being rejected" even if they haven't sent it in yet. Exactly what I'm doing.

And finally, at the very top, there is an author.

Obviously, you're pulling in royalties and you have masted publication. I WANT to be here. But of course, I'm too young.

All right guys, I'm gonna wrap it up.

I got a few questions for ya'll, how long have you been writing? Any more "You know you're a writer when..." the list is pratically endless, any good ones? And anyone got any tips about getting rid of writer's block? My usual solutions aren't working...

Comment, check the boxes, feed my koi, check out the poll, and over all, chill out guys.

Talley-ho,
Chels

6 comments:

  1. This doesn't have anything to do with your post, but, don't you think that if you wrote less and made your point sooner people would find it easier to read your posts and much easier to remember the point you're trying to get across? I enjoy reading other peoples' blogs for inspiration, ideas and just to see their views on things in general, but when I see a really long post I just think to myself, ugh, I really couldn't be bothered. Not that this post is too long, but your work in general is mostly quite lengthy... Just thought I'd say. I'm not the easiest person to deal with as I say what is on my mind without giving it a second thought+, but I figured you could take it just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perrin,

    Hey, what's up! I totally see what you mean, really. But I'm not a big fan of writing really short posts either. Not to sound self-centered, but mine aren't that long, truly. I do have a lot to say sometimes but thank you so much for bringing this up to me. :D

    ~Chels

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S I forgot to tell you that I think this is a brilliant post! Typical of me really, I always say something when I don't like what I see but not when I like what I see :-/ sorry. I just want you to know (although I'm not sure it counts since I'm a stranger) that I don't think you're too young to be an author (you're far too mature to be only 14) and I'm really sorry your mother can't see that :( Hopefully she'll wake up one day and see the wonderful talent her daughter has. I'm sure when she finally gets that revelation she'll be super proud of this wonderful 'author to be' person that she's raised and she'll apologize for never seeing you (I mean really seeing you and what you can do) before.

    And another thing, writing long posts is not a bad thing (on the contrary, it shows character and diligence), I just think it puts people off sometimes.

    What do you think of my latest post: http://perrinphilippa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chelsea,
    I liked your blog post and I'm sorry that your mother doesn't see your awesome talent, :( I'm very upset to hear that. And, like Perrin said, I hope she will wake up one day and see your amazing writing with the right eyes. Your writing is lovely and I encourage you to carry on, despite your mother. :) I absolutely love your blog, and am SO looking forward to the next blog post...
    Keep well
    Tane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chels, I think it's really terrible that your mom doesn't like you're writing or support you. My parents are the complete opposite. This was a really great post. I wish I could read some of your writing. Would you be able to give me links to some of the stuff you posted on Kidpub? Also, to answer one of the questions you were curious about, I've been writing for about 5 or 6 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now, I'm a would be writer. I have the ideas, but not the words to carry them out. :( I call that Writer's Cramp.
    Hope you pull through, Chels. I'm lucky to have the supportive parents I have, but sometimes I feel like they're just praising me so I won't feel bad. :/
    I definetley do NOT think you're to young to publish! I've read plenty of (non Kidpub) books written by kids whoa re only 12 years old- and they were great! :3

    I've been writing for 3 years now. Considering I'm in 6th grade, that isn't have bad. :P

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Tell me what YOU think! :D I love writer-reader interaction!