Pages 'n Stuff

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Is For Lovers - Well, Not Exactly -- Happy (Late) Valentine's Day!

♥ Happy Late Valentine's Day Everyone!! ♥

I'm going to power into the topic today because I don't want to begin my post with me going on and on about what's been up lately and why I haven't posted in a while. I'll do that to the end so you don't have to scroll through the splur to find the good stuff so, let's begin!

No one is quiet sure WHY we have Valentine's Day and I'm pretty sure it has some type of biblical reference. But as we know it, it's for lovers and for day that you either despise, enjoy, or just not care at all. In the course of my fifteen year life, I have felt all three of these sensitivities towards the famed Valentine's Day.

I remember Elementary school when we had to get a shoebox from our closets and dive into our creative portions of our minds so that we can decorate our boxes with pinks, reds and white along with heart patterns and lacy doilies. Then we would bring them to class and everyone would get specially entitled pieces of candy dropped into their boxes. Once you get home, you dump your loot on your kitchen table and devour every desirable piece of candy.

Yep, that about sums it up right there. Of course, that's how early Elementary school was like. Kindergarten through probably... fourth grade.

Then comes Middle School - where I despised the holiday's existence because of pure jealously. Oh yes, jealously. I'm sure everyone has experienced these lonesome feelings of wanting to just gouge out your eyeballs at the sight of the preposterous amount of Valentine's gifts everyone around you is receiving. And I'm talking absolutely preposterous amounts of gifts in Middle School. I would see more toys, and I quote from Adrian, "I never saw more in a toy store."

I've talked about relationships (http://pinkteamslocker.blogspot.com/2011/10/relationships-twelve-year-olds-having.html) and in Middle School it's all for show -- all of it. Who can show more "love" for the other and Valentine's Day is a mine-field for it. The gifts include the following: giant teddy bears, large heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, a collection of balloons and so much more. Okay, I have nothing against extravgant gifts for Valentine's Day but what I don't like is seeing them in excess. As in, I'm seeing about... 75% of the school with these gifts.

So, you can imagine me walking through the hallways, practically running to my next class to avoid the sea of over-exaggerated gifts and not making any eye contact with anyone. In Middle School me and my group of friends were all single and so we didn't have that "special" someone to get something for and from. I remembered absolutely loathing that day because it was like walking through a sea of fluffy-happiness and sweet perfume-ness... ness. It was awful. If you've seen Spongebob, remember that episode when they are in the Flying Dutchman and they have to go through the... Perfume Department. Yeah, that's what I was like.

Now I'm in the High School and it wasn't that bad. There were things here and there but it wasn't so bad.

I guess I should explain to ya'll what I got for Connor - my boyfriend to those of ya'll who don't know. I got him a jar of dark chocolate (his favorite) and little army men. ;) Get it? He wants to be a marine and.. yeah, get it? He called me a bad-ass girlfriend. Mission accomplished. And he got me, oh wow, first time I've EVER gotten anything from a guy on Valentine's Day, a stuffed dog, a rose, my favorite chocolate (Ghirardelli, Dark Chocolate and Raspberry filing) and a card. I almost cried - it was amazing.

How was ya'll's Valentine's Day? Loved it? Hated it? Don't care? Did you get anything - pass anything out? Well, tell me in the comments section - I read every comment I get, promise. Sometimes I just can't reply. Check the boxes and what-not, you know the jazz.

--

Okay, post is over about Valentine's Day and now we're going to take a bit of a more serious vestige and explain to you what's been up with me lately. The reason I haven't been posting is because I am dealing with major Writer's Block.

I'm one of those writers who get WB periodically and to be honest, that's decently healthy. It's okay to have WB because you can't be writing non-stop all the time. You have off and on days and some people don't really realize how case-sensitive writing is. It's easy they say? Well, it's not exactly the easiest thing to do but I do enjoy it.

Most of my readers, I know are writers and if you're not -- you are seriously missing out on the fun and so I'm going to be able to relate to ya'll a bit easier than to my "normal" friends so to speak.

Getting WB is the equivalent of being sick with the flu and I'm sure you experience flu-like symptoms as well. And some of you are aware that I'm dealing with problems with my hands hurting all of the time - going numb and what not. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and I'm not going to go in to real detail about what it is because you can look it up - it's very complicated.

I'll give you a brief summary: CTS is basically a pinched nerve in the wrist. The Carpal Tunnel is the passageway in your wrist that gives you feeling in your hands and what CTS is is when the nerve passageway is pinched causing your hands to "fall asleep". Imagine what it feels like when your foot falls asleep in your hands. And not only does it make your hands fall asleep, they go numb, ache, and cramp up very easily. Usually, CTS usually affects one hands - your dominant hand - but mine has affected both hands. But get this, it affects your entire arm. Hand, wrist, forearm, bicep and shoulder and neck. They are always in pain and it makes life all the harder - makes the little things harder. I can't do little movements with my hands. Coordination in my hands is failing as is strength.

What causes CTS? Well, four main things:

1. Pregnancy: Uh, no. I am NOT pregnant. I promise you guys, I'm NOT stupid.
2. Diabetes: I am a perfectly healthy teenager.
3. Hyperthyroidism: My sister has this and I got tested - I'm clean.

So, okay, what other options are there? Oh right, number four: repetitive motions in an awkward position. *begins to think* To list: gaming, playing Guitar Hero, typing, hand-writing... to name a few things I do very often. More than the average Joe.

Writing is killing me guys - check out this little essay I wrote, kind of explains how I feel: http://www.kidpub.com/story/writing-what-i-live-and-hurt-214119169#new

As in right now, my wrists are simply on FIRE and itchy. It's a symptom. I have not been diagnosed with anything but I'm going to go to a neurologist to get it checked out. Also, there is a possibility I may have damaged some nerve endings in my neck - so I'll keep ya'll posted on that.

So, this pain has been really been a giant dam for my inspiration. Another way to get WB is being sick or physically ill. Well, I'm just finding it very hard to write quality work when I'm practically in pain from the minute I wake up until the time I go to sleep. It's hard to do anything. It's literally changing my life because my mom said I'm going to have to take some sort of hiatus. As in - ahem, no computer, no video games and no texting for a good two weeks. All right -- I am a relatively average user of technology, my life revolves it and... what the heck am I gonna do with myself? I guess I can read. But I CAN'T write. It's like telling me to stop breathing - okay, maybe not a good comparison but its still shattering me inside.

I can't promise any posts but I will try - I really will guys. I'll keep ya'll posted if anything major happens.

That's pretty much where I stand so... leave comments and be chill guys!

Talley-ho,
Chels

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I feel so sorry about your carpal-tunnel syndrome (is that correct?)... I'll definately pray for you. Happy Valentine's day! :) As for my V-day, it wasn't super amazing, but whatever. :\ Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL You pretty much nailed your little ditty on Middle School XD
    Ours wasn't quite that bad. I saw a few girls walking around with roses or little bags, but I didn't see an extreme amount of it. I agree with you, it's all for show at this point in time and I hate watching those girls who walk around with their gifts like it actually means something.
    (Not that I would be DELIGHTED to receive something, but as of yet none of my crushes are telepathic and I'm still chronically shy and very socially awkward around them XD)
    We had candy grams though and the part that made it so sad was that people who didn't get ones (cough)me(cough) got ones from the school.
    I felt so loved.
    T_T <----(my face)

    :3 Reading about your boyfriend makes me so happy for you Chelsea, really really happy. I wish you the best of luck with your CTS and hope that you get past your writer's block soon. I'm going to see you in print someday...I just know it!!!!
    ~Ninja Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to share this with you: http://verncgriffen.blogspot.com/2012/02/history-of-valentines-day.html
    It's the history of Valentine's Day... I wrote it.. And that's my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really described what Middle School and Elementary School valentines days are like! And my school had candy grams too, though I just got them from my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Tell me what YOU think! :D I love writer-reader interaction!