Pages 'n Stuff

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tips For Inexperienced School Dance Attendees!

I know school isn't in session for most of you guys but I decided that I would give you tips about school dances so you're prepared for next year.

School dances are suppose to be fun fund-raisers for your school and I would suggest you go to all of them that don't require an invitation. Depending on your school tickets may be pricey or not but all dances shouldn't be an event to avoid! 

As for buying a dress, take a couple of close friends to help you decide because I know shopping with your mom or dad can be kind of stressful so having a couple of friends with you can help you make a decision. Personally, when it comes to choosing a dress, of course stay within your school's dress-code, and don't buy an expensive dress... unless it's prom. Prom can be the exception when choosing an expensive dress. But you do whatever works for your budget. And always know the pretty dresses do not have to be the expensive ones. I found a cute red dress at Forever 21 for under twenty-dollars. All of my dresses have been under-budget but all very cute! The second dress I had was a blue dress from my older sister's prom and the third was a good friend of mine's. Another thing - if you don't want to go out and buy a dress, ask a friend! Dress-swapping can be fun and exciting! Avoid wearing heels. If the dance is a dinner and dance you can wear whatever heels you want but when it comes to dancing, take them off to avoid injury. Plus their uncomfortable... Nothing like dancing to dubstep in heels - it's not possible guys, I've tried. And failed. Heels are deadly - I kid you not. I know from my own experiences and you don't even have to take a huge slip to hurt yourself. I stood up and teetered and twisted my ankle. Another time, I did something to my knee... So, don't wear heels during the dance. You'll thank me later.

Now on to the actual dance: I went to three dances my Freshmen year and next year, I'll have to see where the wind takes me but my three dances were all different. The first was the Winter Formal in December and it was purely a dance and that was it. The next was the Military Ball (which required invitation) and it was a dinner and a dance. The last was the Band Banquet (which required invitation, but I'm in band) and it was a dinner, presentations, videos, and a dance.

Tips:

1. It's a dance - so dance! Don't sit in the corner, get out there and dance! People are generally very happy and friendly during dances so dance with whoever you want. 
2. Do the circle tactic! Dance in a circle so you can see everyone you're dancing with.
3. Make new friends! Go around the dance-floor and talk and dance with anyone.
4. When it comes to group dances such as the Cha-Cha Slide or the Duggie, etc, do it anyway! Look around you, and copy everyone else. Laugh and smile! No of course, you're not gonna be perfect, but you'll be glad you tried. I'm sure there's several others who don't know either so you're not alone!
5. Stay the entire dance. You'll be glad you did! 

Slow dances... if you don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend, slow dances can be the awkwardest thing next to calling your teacher "mom". Keep yourself busy during a slow dance. Go to the bathroom, talk to people, go outside (if you can). But if you do have a boyfriend or girlfriend, slow dance for Pete's sake. C'mon. Depending on if your school has strict rules on slow-dancing, they're moments where you can just relax and take in the moment. Even if you both don't know how to slow-dance, figure it out! It's not that hard. Girl: arms around his neck. Guy: at her waist. And kinda take swaying steps. It's not difficult. Trust me. If you wanna waltz, great! I don't know how to waltz. (Fact: my first slow dance song was an anonymous country song. I live in Texas guys. I honestly cannot tell you the name of it.) 

Always remember: dances are fun and just go with the flow. Don't have high-expectations and it's a dance isn't it? So DANCE

Comments, questions, concerns. I'd love to hear them. If you have any dance stories to share, love to hear them. Or if you have questions or worries about dances, I'll gladly answer them. Thanks guys!

Talley-ho, 
Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Tell me what YOU think! :D I love writer-reader interaction!