Pages 'n Stuff

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Who Lives In A Pineapple Under the Sea? ~ Let's Talk About Spongebob!

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? You guessed it.

Airing on May 1st 1999, Spongebob Squarepants was a wacky idea bout a sea-sponge that lived under the sea and with a whole bevy of characters along with him to have fun. The show was a major part of every child living in the early 2000's lives - including me. I won't take up a lot of time discussing how the show came to be and what-not but today, I will be focusing on how it used to be and how it is now. 

There is a massive difference between the older episodes and the newer episodes.  If you've watched the series from the very first days, I'm sure you can agree with me that it has changed. So, today, I'm going to be doing some things. I'll give you my opinion of Spongebob - old and new and some testimonials.

First, let's discuss my opinion on all of this... As I was looking up information to write this post, I found that Spongebob is going on to it's eighth season and there's a nineth season pending. Little fun fact: my favorite episode is the Band Geeks episode. Hands down. My favorite. Now onto graver things.

Okay, last month, I caught an article on Yahoo! and it was talking about how Spongebob is becoming a tired tv-show that just needs to be cancelled. And I agree. As I have said, Spongebob was a big part of my childhood and it use to be a funny show with awkward moments, funny facial expressions, and the humor slap-stick and something that I still laugh at today. Now, it is incredibly... disgusting. That's the only word I can find for it. Disgusting. The animation has become very grotesque and twisted. The stupid and slightly unnerving aspects of the show are exaggerated to the point where I think I ought to change the channel.  They seem to have ruined the shows uniqueness in their attempts to make it more appealing for a younger generation. Why is disgusting appealing?

How does this? 














And this?











Turn into this??
 












And this??









I'm sorry - but that is just disgusting. 

Don't believe me? Here are real testimonials from my friends! 

"In the beginning, it was all I watched. Then for like two years it got really cheesy and had too many songs. I got annoyed easily. And found myself changing channels not even half-way through. The episodes are getting better now that the people realize that older kids watch the show more than younger. The humor seems more directed to older kids, which is great. Spongebob is still one of my favorite shows ever. *laughs*"
-Meggie.

"I watched it when I was five and then my mom got P.O.ed at the animation so my mom banned it from my house." 
-Natalie

"Dude, I hate Spongebob. It should be banded and it ruins children's minds. Same story, same characters. The writers are running out of ideas."
-Dustin

"(<What do you think about Spongebob?) It's amazing. (What about recently?) He's more yellow. Have you noticed? He's way more yellow. There's no more Sandy. I haven't seen her as much. (Do you think it's funny?) It's sad. It's not funny anymore."
-Stephanie.

"It's gotten really stupid. It's not funny anymore. They must have gotten a new graphics person because the drawings are really gross sometimes and the show is full of awkward pauses and rambling. They just need to end it all ready. They've used all of the possible scenarios so they just need to end it. Squidward is an asshole. Spongebob isn't funny anymore and he's just annoying. I don't want to see Mr. Krabs naked."
-Megan

"At first it was kinda funny but as time goes on, it's stupid and even little kids think it's stupid. It's so stupid and perverted. There's a little too much butt going on."
-Jayla

"They've ruined it. They straight-up ruined it. It's so... different. It's making all the episodes stupid. They're running out of ideas. Even the voices have changed. Spongebob has become perverted."
-Kitsbe

Notice how they've pretty much said the same things? I'm sorry - but I have a hard time arguing when seven people have told me the same thing.

As for the future of Spongebob, I will happily await the older episodes reruns.

Agree with me? Don't agree? Leave a comment and check the boxes as well. Want me to blog about something? Please don't hesitate to comment below. Thanks for reading!

Talley-ho,
Chels 


4 comments:

  1. PRECISELY.

    Spongebob used to be a funny show.

    Now, its barely appropriate sometimes for the younger kids.

    And the plot? Before: Great! After: Wha...?

    XD Thats just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my brother who is seven years old loves SpongeBob. Seeing as it is always on, I find myself watching it rather a lot, for my brother won't lemme turn it over :S I have seen both the older and newer ones.....I find that the older ones sometimes have me in stitches, but the newer one? Me and my brother sit there and stare at a yellow sponge like he's mad.
    They - the makers - are doing Spongebob's top 100 on Nickelodeon. Actually they might of finished it, but nvm. Let me get to my point. If A funny old one wins I will dance and kiss my brothers head. If a new one wins I will ask my Mum for a gun for Christmas. Get it? GOOD.
    (lol) Random moment there :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous 1,

    Yes, the plot has major plotholes and is overall completely absent. Totally agree! Thanks for commenting!

    Anonymous 2,

    Lol. Totally agree! Actually, my little brother who is eight doesn't prefer Spongebob at all, except for the old ones. Which is odd because younger kids seem to like the newer ones over the olders ones... odd. Thanks for commenting!

    ~Chels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definetely agree with this post. You will not BELIEVE how much I complain about how awful it is these days. It's good to see that someone's finally (officially) adressing it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Tell me what YOU think! :D I love writer-reader interaction!